What is the difference between a disciple and an apostle?

If you are going to give list please just give the names. Adding son of, daughter of or anything else just confuses me.

I would really like an answer simple enough for a 5th grader to understand if possible.

If I got this right, disciples are teacher apostles are the original 12? but there were 13 all together. The extra one is from Judias betraying Jesus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When Jesus was still on the earth the 12 were disciples of Jesus learning from Him all about Him, when He resurrected and came onto earth He told them to make disciples of all nations, He called them Apostles.
    If you notice the Apostles went around starting churches and handing them over to those who were called to teach and pastor. The disciples are the ones learning about Jesus. You and I are a disciple of Jesus Christ. I hope that makes sense.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• OK that makes a lot of sense, the first 12 (the ones at the last supper?) are the apostles his followers are disciples?

short and easy I like your answers lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Disciples are followers of Christ- anyone can be a disciple.

Apostles are special ordained witnesses of Christ with the gifts and the responsibilities of leading the church of Christ, including Prophesy and revelation for the whole world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• The twelve are the apostles of the Lamb. Matthias took Judas' place. Jesus called the twelve his disciples, and every one who follows Jesus is a disciple.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Disciples are "students" of Christ. Apostles are "sent out" by Christ to do his work. My denom's reformed theology defines the original Apostles as disciples who were given charge by the risen Lord.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Novemberlove said what I was trying to say lol I just couldnt think of the wording "sent out ones" lol
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• -An apostle is an ambassador of the Gospel, basically a teacher.

-A disciple is a pupil, a student, a follower.

Jesus chose an original 'inner circle' of twelve disciples, who were themselves to 'make disciples' i.e. followers of 'all nations' (see Matthew 28:18-20). Thus there would eventually be many disciples of Jesus.

The term apostollos in the Greek from which we get our word Apostle literally means 'one sent forth.' This is close to the meaning above. Both terms were used while Jesus was on the earth.

Luke 6:13 (King James Version)
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 12:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• There were certain qualifications that made one an "apostle". One of which was to see (as in actually visually seeing his physical presence) Jesus. Which makes the original 12 and Paul. Every one else is to be a disciple.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• well the apostles are his chosen but we are all his disciples.Those who follow him.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009