Hitting Question.

My 14 month old boy has taken to hitting himself on the head and face, and slamming his head on the floor. He does it all the time, even when he's not mad or upset, but it is more violent when he is. He is not ever hit by anyone, and I can't even think of where he may have seen anyone do this to themselves. Does anyone else have experience with this? How do I get it to stop? I posted this question earlier in another category but didn't get many answers.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I saw your question eailer, but I am not sure what to tell you. I have heard it is a way of releasing stress and frustration. So if that is true then try and talk to him, if you can talk him down, give him something constuctive to hit or hit himself with, plastic bat or pillow. Or play dough, he can beat it all he wants and maybe that will distract him. When he is beating himself, tell him he is angry or frustratted, give him the words he needs to help him to calm himself down. Other then that I don't know. Good luck, but I think I do remember this is something that they can grow out of as they develope more speach.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• well my 9 month old son likes to bang the back of his head on his car seat or the wall....why? bc he likes the noise. he loves noises, and any way to make them. so it could be something as simple as that. now on the other extreme(not to freak you out just to inform you). I went to a training when i worked day care and the instructor had a child in her class come in everyday and hit his forehead on the same bookshelf over and over until bruised. same bookshelf, same place on head. UNTIL they changed the color of paint in the classroom. But he was autistic. I'd say if its random places and mostly when he's mad, he's probably looking for attention. Do you hurry to him, and make him stop? He may have realized, "oo mommy comes running when i do this". so i would just pick him up and move him or distract him with something else and walk off. if it lessens with that, i'd say you beat him at that game!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• wwoooww flash back memmories of my little brother's tantrums! lol uhm.. i dont know what to tell ya cause we used to just look at him with anodd look on our faces.. it was his way of releasin frustration... he's 12 now and still does this!
    if he keeps doing this hes gonna put marks on himself when he gets older like my little brother did.. and we got cps called out on us kids for it it was a Pain trying to explain why he does that to a social worker... she thought we were aviolent family.. which wasnt the case...
    but we could never think of anything to calm him down.. i remember having to hold him down tell he calmed down a few times he got so bad... but i dont know if that would be a good idea for a 14 month old...
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and she does the same thing. She used to hit us and or bite and we got her to stop but now she does it to herself. Sometimes nothing helps and other times we tell her she is too pretty to hit herself in the face. Or no you dont want to bite your hands, that hurts the pretty girl and if we say it very calmly she will stop. Maybe he is just getting ready for that tantrum stage :)
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• my friend had the same problem with her son so she asked his physical therapist (he is totally normal just a little behind on using his motor skils by a few mths) hes 18 mths. but anyway she said its usually done for attention. they want ur attention however they can get it so thats his way. so she was told to start ignoring him when he did it and by the end of the wk he stopped. try it and see.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Totally normal, don't worry it will pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009