Starting my 5 mo old on foods.

Hey there fellow moms! My question is about starting my 5 mo. old on food. I breast feed and she always eats really well that way. My dr said i can introduce her to baby cereal which i have. she doesn't like the rice. She like the oatmeal so i give her a little of that once a day usually at night. Well he said after about a week or so of that i can introduce a stage one food one kind at a time per week or two. K so he also said there is up sides and downsides to starting food depending on the baby. She could like the food so much that she weens herself off of BF. Or it could just help so that she isn't 100% addicted to just breast milk. So i don't know what to do. I don't want to start her too early and have her not want to nurse anymore because i know its important to nurse as long as possible at least up to a year. But also i want her to learn about foods. What do you suggest?

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd will be 4 months this week and I've started thinking about whether or not I want to start foods at that point or not too...I think I've decided that as long as she keeps growing and gaining that there's no real reason to start her on food this early....we'll see what her doc says I guess. Although I haven't ever heard (in my circle of friends/family) of a baby liking food so much that she stops wanting to b/f. I'm sure it happens but maybe it doesn't happen very often?? Obviously I am no expert, I'm kind of in the same boat you are...I'll be interested to see what people say. Good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I started my son on baby food about the same time he is now 2 and had no problems with him feeding and eating baby food. Although I know everyone is different I would suggest not letting it worry you...you could just try a little at a time....Maybe like a few bites and then beast feed after and continue while gradually adding to the amount of baby food your baby eats. Hope this helps =)
    MrsV.

Answer by MrsV. at 11:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My DD is 6 months old and is BF and we started solids. Our dr said that the solids are not to replace a nursing time, at this age they are just extra to let her experience new tastes and to give her a chance to practice eating solids. So she eats 1-2 meals of solids a day about an hour after she nurses. It's a fun new experience for her and gives us something else to do during the day. If you are ready I say do it!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Let's try this again, without typos, I hope! It's really quite simple. Nurse first, solids after. Not ONE BITE of solids comes without having nursed first.

Breastmilk is her main meal, her meat and potatoes if you will. THe solids are the chocolate pudding. Now, I know my son would LOVE to start dinner with chocolate pudding but I'm not gonna let him. **grin**

Baby doesn't miss a THING if you nurse first, solids after. If you reverse it baby DOES run a risk of losing out on nutrition.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009