is it appropriate for a 14 yr old girl to wear 3" heels to a dance or is that too grown up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i think 3 inches might be alot for her to handle im 18 and cant handle 3 inches especially to a dance! i dont think its to "grown up" though... i mean especially for a dance or something... maybe a hootchie dress would be a little much but shoes dont really shout anything negative even if they are 3 inch heals ( just not the hooker boot kinds.. thats a diff story!)
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• why on earth would you allow her to wear shoes that she can't walk in? Let her be a child for as long as possible.
    slvrspoon98

Answer by slvrspoon98 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i think it may be a bit much. both the height and her trying to handle them. i'm guessing its a school dance too, so in the cafeteria or gym, both really slippery floors.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• OP here, she's tried them on in the stores and walks around with them pretty easy, I, on the other hand dont, lol but i always felt that that was a grown ups attire. she begs to differ, lol. I'm just wondering if i'm a bit out of touch w/ teen fashion. The dress is ok, she doesnt like to expose herself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• well if the dress isn't too bad, i'd call the school and check on the heels. they may not want her to wear them b/c of the risks involved, and they are pretty grown up. maybe for 16 or older but 14 is still so young. and even though she can wear them in the store she may have trouble dancing and hanging out w/friends in them. i don't know, maybe buy them and have her walk around at home in them for a few days, make sure she can handle them than check with the school. i'm not sure, but i know when i was 14 we were not wearing 3 inch heels! i can barely walk in those now.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• well then i dont see why not i mean if they hurt her feet and tire her out she will learn something for future reference but if she reeally wants to id let her lol and if she comes back with sore feet just say "i told ya so" if not than atleast she got to wear what made her happy to her first dance! kids wear high heals a lot now days.. what makes a difference is if they're wearing disgusting clothes with them or not.. but if shes got a decent outfit and doesnt like to expose herself then it should be ok! :-)
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• OP here, i was thinking what armymum said, letting her wear them to learn a lesson, but i dont know, i dont even wear those now. i guess i'll check the school, didnt even think to check with them about shoes. Thanks everyone for your advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• one or two inch will be fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• At 14 bones, tendons, etc are still developing. You have no idea the damage heels can do! To top it off, why can't she where some really short heels, or even some cute ballet slides? Let her be a kid while she's still a kid. I say heels are a no go.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• What does her dad say about it? If her dad is in the picture, I think I would let him be the one to make the final decision about this.

If it were me, I'd say it was probably okay at the age of 14 - although if my daughters are anything like me, they will want to wear flats because I was so tall, that I was taller than all the boys! Once I wore heels and no boys asked me to dance that night! Lesson learned, wear flats!

It wasn't until I was in HS that I was around boys taller than me - but back to your original question - 3 inches - really? Did you look at a ruler, bc that is not really that high.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 1:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2009