Have you ever found a tick on you?

Where was it, what did it look like and what did you do about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Health

• I live in the country and spend most of the warm days outside in and around the woods, so yes I've had ticks on me. Usually I feel them crawling on my leg. It looked like a tick...sorry don't know how to explain what they look like (maybe Google them). I just pick it off and throw it on the ground. It's been years since one has bitten me.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I was little when my Dad noticed that one went into my ear. I didn't feel it go in. He immediately grabbed some coffee (not hot) and poured it into my ear to get it out. He then killed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son was bit in the small of his back by a tick once. It looks like a darkish brown half oval sticking out of the skin. The really important thing is not to just pull on them. The entire head must be removed. (the head is buried in the skin) If left they fill with blood and explode. leaving the head inside. We have used several different ways .But the best is to grasp the tick as close to the mouth and as close to the skin as possible with tweezers. Pull without squeezing or rupturing the tick in a steady straight line. Pull hard enough the skin kind of tents out a bit. Usually within a few minutes the tick backs out intact. DO NOT squeeze or step on the tick to kill it. Flush it or drown it in alcohol. They can carry lots of bacteria. Make sure the site where the tick attatched is cleaned thoroughly and disinfected.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i agree wih previous poster but its better to use or fingers. the tweezers can sever the head easier. you could also put vaseline completely around the tick and it will back out to breathe. personally ive never had an issue with just pulling then out. i grew up in the country so in the summer my mom used to check our heads nightly for ticks. if yo are concerned about lyme's disease keep the tick in a ziplock bag and bring him to a doctor. hell be able to get it tested.
    treystiredmommy

Answer by treystiredmommy at 12:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2009