how many baby showers is a person supposed to get?

I am having my second in feb, and people keep asking me when my shower is. I didnt really think i was going to have one, since this is my second child. Things to consider: my first was 4 years ago, and was a boy. This one is a girl. The first baby was born in PA, and the second will be born in CA with an entirely new set of people giving gifts. Even with all of those issues, I still think its weird to have a second shower.

redderbedder

Asked by redderbedder at 11:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some people think it is unreasonable for a person to have another baby shower after already having one. But usually under those circumstances it is the same people throwing and being invited to the shower. They usually are thinking that most of the things you receive at a shower you probably already have from the first go round. I'd say go for it since it is different people and a different sex. I would tell them to stick with things like diapers and baby clothes though b/c obviously you probably have furniture and things like that from your first baby.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Be gracious and accept the hospitality. Whatever someone wants to give.

07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm pregnant with my second and I never had a baby shower, but for this one I am. And even though I never had one part of me feels weird just bc I already have a child. But I'm really excited and grateful to get to have one this time.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• It is entirely proper to have a shower for your second child. Especially since it has been 4 years AND a opposite sexed baby. Congrats and go with it. Nowdays a crib that is 4 yrs old is often out of safety regulations. Allow your friends to celebrate your little girl.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• 1 per child is acceptable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I had one and i dont think i will for this one but i had a girl maybe i should for this one since it is a boy i am in the same boat as you but no one has even mentioned another shower to me but than again i do not have many friends here to do that
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Im pregnant with baby #2 my first was born in 2007 & I still have all his things plus so I didn't get

another one, If I did I would of felt funny but all the people who were at my sons shower will come to see baby #2 anyway & will probably bring the baby something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I had two for my first baby and one each for my second and third. Honestly I think each baby deserves the same fanfare and celebration as the first. You don't need to register for a new crib or carseat or other bigger items, but some diapers, new outfits, towels, washcloths, etc. All those things are so handy and you can always use more of them, AND all your friends and family can get together to celebrate the new additon to your family.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I've had six kids & not even one shower. My niece had 2 baby showers w/ her first baby. One with friends/family & then someone did one for her at her work place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• There's no "right" number. Some people get no showers at all! My family doesn't beleive in showers; it's considered bad luck. Instead gifts are given at the christening.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2009