Does anyone have a success story about their alcoholic family member/SO? Or are recovering alcoholics?

My boyfriend of a year and a half, and father of my 6 month old, is due to get out of jail this week. He has been in there 3 months, but this is his 6th time in jail. He has also been to rehab 4 times, as recently as May. He always seems to come out, do good for a few weeks, and then relapse. His daughter is not a big enough motivation for him to stay out of jail, I guess. He is an alcoholic, who drinks pints of vodka (straight-not mixed) every day. He goes to jail because he is in a drug rehab program through the court, which gives him regular drug and alcohol tests, and he fails the alcohol tests frequestly. I want to know if anyone has a family member, SO, or even if they themselves have overcome their addiction? How long did it take, and WHAT helped???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• does he smoke too? get him on the med Chantrix it help addictions for drinking as well.
    My hubby had a head injury from alcohol and his car rolling off the road, tell him this could happen to him too! do AA every week and avoid bars people and get him a cell phone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• alcohol almost killed my husband... tell him..his daughter needs him and you do too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• newlife.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Check out Chantix very well though. My mother almost died because she was having hallucinations due to Chantix. She saw a little girl standing on the road and swerved to avoid her, only there was nothing there. There are many cases of suicide in people prescribed Chantix and a whole slew of other side effects. However, my sister was arrested for her 3rd DUI on Thanksgiving of 2007. She did 90 days in jail, has two years of probation, had to get an innerlock system in her car, got her license revoked for one year. That did it for her. She has had one night where she got out of control since and she was at home with friends from out of town. She can be around alcohol and not drink, and she can have one beer and stop there. Her long term boyfriend is also a recovering alcoholic and they hold each other up. Consider a counselor to help him deal with the actual reason why he drinks.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My grandfather was an alcoholic. This was before I was born. My mom has told me stories of how he used to beat her and my grandmother. I've seen pictures of my grandmother from back then. She was pencil then b/c she couldn't eat. He apparently got his act together, though b/c--to know how he is now--you wouldn't know that he used to be a really mean alcoholic. He is a totally different man than the stories that my mom has told me. So, it is possible to recover and completely change your life. For the record, he and my grandmother are still together and love each other very much.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 4:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2009