house help! please

Ok so I live with my dad. He drive me crazy sometimes but at others he fine. I love my dad but I just can't stand living with him sometimes! I have enough money saved up for a years rent at the apartment I'm looking at. So when my DH gets back from deployment we won't have to worry about rent if he can't find a job right away. So tomorrow I go to the apartment place to put down the money and give them the app fee. But I really want to still try to get a house! We've been trying for months! But at the same time, with the way the job market is here I know he won't be able to find a good enough job to pay the morage (and everything else) and go to school so he can get the better job. When he gets home I told him I would find a job but he says only if we need to. He knows how much I know to stay home with our DD. I just really want to have OUR house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'm sorry, but I don't really see a question..... what exactly are you wanting help with hon?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I guess it comes down to which you want more. For us, being home with DS is way more valuable for me right now, we are young and there is plenty of time to get a house later, but these few years wont be here for long.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• There's always a compromise, too. You can work part-time and have your dad or someone watch your daughter or work when your husband is home. That way, you'd be making more money, but still be able to be with your daughter the majority of the time. I have the best of both worlds. I teach at two different colleges, a total of 5 classes per week, 3 hours per class. The rest of the time I'm at home. I've done this since my son was born (sometimes I teach less, but mostly it's the 5 classes). It's been great financially, it's been great for my son, but it's also been great for my sanity and my self-esteem. Don't get me wrong, I love raising my son, but I also went to school for over 7 years so that I could do something I LOVE. And I love teaching.

So it is possible to do both. To find a middle ground. You may be able to have the house and still be home all day.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• go with the apartment for now. if he's getting out and gets a job not related to his military experience-most likely it won't be-it will be very hard to get a mortgage. you're young you have plenty of time, just wait it out in the cheap apartment and save all the money you can until you have a good job with benefits for your daughter and are a better credit risk.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My dad really can't watch her. She gets into too many things here. Its one of he reasons I want to move. My dad says "she'll learn" It drives me crazy. When y husband gets home I wouldn't mind woking but h says only if we need me to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think everyone "wants" a house, but sometimes you need to do what is the best for your financial situation, and maybe for now an apartment is the best thing. A house can be very expensive, not only the mortgage but insurance and taxes and all of the maintenance that you will need to do. I'd say go for the apartment right now, save your money for the house in a few years once your dh has a well established job.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009