What happens to a miscarried fetus/baby?

Someone I know just lost their baby that was due in December, so I guess the baby was 5 months old gestational. What happens to that baby? I think it's still too raw to ask if they were having a service, but what happens to the baby if the parents don't have a service?

Itchellebe

Asked by Itchellebe at 1:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If they do not have a service or funeral or want the body or remains at all, then it goes into biohazard waste or medical waste.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I believe that the fetus is usually cremated. I'm sorry for your friend's loss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I work at a hospital. the 1st and 2nd poster are right. The remains go into medical waste. Then it gets burned in an incinerator. But if you are asking if the body is burned alone or something like that no, its not. Its burned with other medical waste. Harsh but true. Sorry if I was too graphic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Thank you for the condolences.
    Are the parents told that this is what's going to happen?
    Itchellebe

Answer by Itchellebe at 1:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I lost my baby when I was five months pregnant, we had an option to have a service but we didn't, I had my baby cremated and I still have his ashes in a gold ern.

I'm sorry for your friend I know how horrible that was for me I had cried my self to sleep everynite, my hubby bought the baby a blue teddy so I slept with the ern and the teddy for months until I got prego with my now four year old.

RIP Mikel
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I don't know about your friend but my baby lived for and hour after I deliverd him, he died in the palm of my hand.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'm sorry for your loss.
    Itchellebe

Answer by Itchellebe at 1:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• these situations make me want to cry. all women who go through miscarriages are so strong. i was worried my entire pregnancy, almost phobic, that I would miscarry.
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 2:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• At 5 months, I believe they have to bury or cremate the body. Earlier on, it depends where you live. Some places, if it's before 16 weeks, they will not give the baby to you to have buried or cremated. Instead, they can send it to the lab and do all kinds of tests and whatnot without your permission. Or the baby gets thrown out with the medical waste. It's absolutely sick. This is why I refused to have a D&C, and had my miscarriages naturally at home instead.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2009