After 22 years he starts to e-mail me???!!!...

I have been divorced for 22 years re-married for 15 years, he re-married before the ink was dry on our divorce! Now he is sending me e-mails. Birthday greetings through e-mail, all kinds of stuff. I have only replied a simple thank you to his happy birthday, nothing else and I have NEVER initiated an e-mail of anykind. Why now, it is freaking me out. The last time we even spoke to each other was at our sons wedding 4 years ago. What should I do if anything?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 2:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• My ex and I have not spoken in years. If he were to suddenly start emailing me, I would bluntly ask him why he is contacting me. I would want a straight answer from him as to why. Mainly b/c I have no interest in having any kind of relationship with him, so I wouldn't want the contact. I would bluntly ask why he's contacting you, and if you aren't interested in keeping in contact, I'd also bluntly tell him that. And I do agree with PaceMyself, too, to tell your hubby what is going on so that he doesn't find out on his own and jump to mistaken conclusions.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't do anything. Just read his emails if you are interested, but I personlly wouldn't respond. He may have intentions that could harm the marriage you are in now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I agree with the first poster but would like to add - have you let your husband know that this is happening? If not, then do so. You wouldn't want your husband thinking that you didn't mention it because of some less than honest notion. And I would probably email him back at some point and ask him point blank why he's contacting you and sending you greetings and such. I'd also make sure I shared his answer with my husband. Could be the man has changed and finds value in having a cordial relationship with you now - but who knows really.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:44 AM on Sep. 21, 2009