Does anyone feel like they aren't making enough breastmilk?

I feel horrible and frustrated because I only get 2 -3 1/2 ounces from each breast, but it takes like 2 hrs before My breast milk comes in. Which I heard is normal! But is My baby eats, then it takes My breasts longer to get milk out again because there is none in them. How do I get My breast milk supply?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 3:26 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind Momma that baby is better than any pump on the market. He/she is getting way more than you see or know about. If you are looking to increase your milk supply, baby can help you out there too. Try to pump in between feedings and let baby on the breast as often and as long as possible. SInce it is a supply and demand thing your milk production will increase after about 3 days of doing this.

I worked full time while my DS was little and since most of my feedings during the week where pumped I had to spend weekends doing this with every growth spurt to ensure I could keep up. It was totally worth it though so try not to get too discouraged. Best wishes to you both!
    ABCmom6

Answer by ABCmom6 at 3:43 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I had that problem when I breast feed my daughter, I'd pump and feed and hardly any milk came out. I looked on the internet and was able to obtain a prescription for some pills that help produce milk. I don't know the name since it was long ago. But, I was able to breast feed my daughter for a year after that.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 4:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Drink, drink, DRINK.. lots of water and destress yourself. Is your baby still acting hungery after feedings? The body has a very good way of producing exactly as much milk as your baby needs, but keep in mind you have to give your body what it needs to work right.

I went through the same thing you did. The last post is great advise. Trick your body into thinking it needs to produce more by pumping in between feedings, or right after. Make sure you save that milk you pump in case baby is hungery after you feed him/her.
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 4:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The pump is NEVER an indicator of supply and your breasts are never 'empty'. If baby is having the correct amount of wet diapers you are producing plenty!! Stop worrying and trust your body to do what it is designed to do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Pumping out put is NEVER an indication of your supply. If your baby is having 6-8 wet diapers a day then you are producing plenty! Some women do not respond well to a pump. Your breasts are never empty, they are constantly producing milk. If you have to pump, then first thing in the morning is usually the best time. You can also try pumping while baby is nursing, that helps too. Just trust that this is what your body is meant to do and you will be fine.
    kparker75844

Answer by kparker75844 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Like the others said, pumping is *NEVER* an indication of supply. And just to reiterate, your breasts aren't empty. Supply works on supply and demand. More you nurse, the more your breasts will make.

2 to 3 1/2 oz per breast??? That is AWESOME!
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2009