tantrums and discipline

hi all
my daughter is almost 2 and a half and has these terrible tantrums.She either falls to the ground and bangs her head on the floor or she stands in one place and just screams and holds her fists when she's really angry.I have a baby boy who is 1 and a half months old.I know there is sometimes a jelousy issue but other than that she's really good.my question is what are some ways to deal with these tantrums?I try ignoring her sometimes I'll even put her in the coner but she screams bloody murder I'm sure my neighbours think I'm a bad mom or something.Any tips or advice is welcome.
thanx in advance

greenmaniac

Asked by greenmaniac at 4:25 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter does those tantrums as well....what i tried for my daughter was made her sit in her room for 2 minutes since shes 2 and then brought her out and talked to her but that really didnt seem to help my daughter but thats b/c she only listens to her dad and well he is in afghanistan so she seems to think she can get away with w/e but anyways you could try that
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 4:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• How are you with being able to speak to her very sternly? I mean getting down so she can see you face to face - and speak with a tone that instills authority (with women it sometimes helps if you grit your teeth while speaking - it gives the impression of seriousness for some reason). When she does this get right down so she can see your face and tell her "Stop it - right now! Or go to your room" see if you can bluff her into taking your seriously. If she does not stop - escort her to her room, sit her on her bed and tell her "When you stop crying you can come see Mommy". It's worth a try. Maybe at the very least you'll teach her that when she starts throwing a fit - she gets sent to her room and can't come out till she stops crying. She's going on 3 and if you don't get a handle on this now - it will get worse.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:00 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i do try andgo down to her level and even put her in the corner for time outs saying to her she can come out when she learns to behave then after about 2 seconds it's all hugs and kisses she does it alot when we;re in public which gets me livid cause I get all these looks from people(not that I care) but it makes our time out of the house very unpleasant and I want it to stop before it gets too bad.any advice

greenmaniac

Answer by greenmaniac at 10:21 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my son is 22 months and he whines a TON and what I started doing is putting him in his room - telling him I don't want to hear or see him whine or cry ( obviously unless he's hurt or its for a reason ) and I tell him he can come out when he's all done - it usually takes me re-placing him in there like 3 to 4 times and some days more but once he gets that I will NOT put up with it, he ends up stopping.. most days..loL!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I ignore DS... and he stops... and anyone giving you dirty looks has obviously never had kids... EVERY kid goes through this... Also my cousin had a spray bottle... like you would use with a dog cause NOTHING worked for her DS and she would spray him in the face when a tantrum started... sounds wierd I know but wouldn't ya know 3 or 4 times of that and the tantrums were kept to a MINIMUM.... that kid is now one of the best behaved little boys
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i have a 2.5 year old & a 3 month old. No matter how she screams you must not pay attention to the tantrums. if your worried about the neighbor just go over & apologize for the yelling, but your kid is 2 & going through the tantrum stage. make sure shes in a safe place so she won't hurt herself & allow her to throw her fit. if that don't work after trying it consistently for a month then give her two min time outs. if she gets out timeout starts over.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2009