Does anyone know the real Cuba?

For over a century this Island has been deteriorating by the day, I posted a question about the peace concert held there yesterday, only to find a few responses, completely unaware of what actually goes on inside this Island.
To the outside world this seems like an Island in paradise, it's beautiful beaches and tourist attractions, those whovacation there are not aware what the people of the Island go through on a daily basis just to survive.
Yes they have free healthcare, but there is no medicine or any of the medical advances, those are reserved for the tourist nt the people. Yes there is fresh food for the tourist ut the people have none and they have to scavange for their daily meals. Yes, they are well educated but have no future, and educated person in Cuba does not make enough money to survive.
Lifting the embargo would mean another 50 years of slavery for the people, none of what the embargo can bring will cont..

Asked by older at 7:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • "There is a reason people risk their lives daily in the open ocean to flee Cuba. Living poor in the USA is still better than Cuba. Our poor really have no clue what poor is. I wished we got the real truth about Cuba. Their health stats are rigged to make them look better but infant mortality is high."

I agree. I saw a National Geographic article on Cuba a few years ago, and living conditions for their citizens is pathetic. Castro controlled everything, and the tourists only see what they want them to see. It's a sad, poor country.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• benefit it's people, the regime has to keep them hungry and without in order to keep them there.
    Please those who travel there for vacation need to know the state these people live in and will continue to live on as long as Communism reighns there.
    The freedom concert held there was a good thing only because it gave it's people something to do and feel happiness if only for those few hours, but after it was over, everyone went back to the harsh reality they live in, poverty, hunger, and freedomless! (please excuse my typos above)

Answer by older at 7:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I do know the real life there.We complain and complain for every little thing when people in other parts of the world want little things like pencils for their kids that they can get some kind of basics education or Afghan woman want little portable radios to listen something other then daily gun shots .

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Anon, I know what you mean! they consider the bare necessesities luxuries!

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I have done some research on Cuba after Michael Moore tried to make Cuba seem better and more human that the USA. He is likely a Communist so that is not really shocking to me. There is a reason people risk their lives daily in the open ocean to flee Cuba. Living poor in the USA is still better than Cuba. Our poor really have no clue what poor is. I wished we got the real truth about Cuba. Their health stats are rigged to make them look better but infant mortality is high. You can actually get worse seeking medical treatment if you are a citizen. My dad was in Cuba for a vacation. I was angry with him and told him to go look beyond the tourist areas and tell me it was a good idea to give that regeme his money. He did was arrested and released. Cuban government does not like tourists to see the real Cuba. They smashed his camera and made him leave the country. I feel for the people there Obama better think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I agree. I saw a National Geographic article on Cuba a few years ago, and living conditions for their citizens is pathetic. Castro controlled everything, and the tourists only see what they want them to see. It's a sad, poor country

Yes, and it doesn't help that the likes of Michael Moore attempt to glamorize Cuba and consider Cuba's health care the best thing since sliced bread. I would venture to guess MORE people listen to M. Moore than who watch National Geographic.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Cuba's citizens enjoy one of the longest life expectancies of the Western hemisphere. How can you explain this? They are also among the best educated.

I wonder how many experts on how bad it is in Cuba have travelled throughout the Americas to do a little comparison shopping. Death squads, fumigation with deadly chemicals, armies killing innocent citizens and hungry children begging on every corner in many cities.

Maybe you need to compare Cuba with its Latin neighbors instead of the US.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I have vacationed in the Caribbean and of course tourists always lead a charmed life far from the realities of the country. This is true anywhere.

Cuba's life expectancy is impressive and shows they are doing something right for their citizens.

I don't think an embargo-supporting expat with a bone to pick is necessarily an objective source of information, especially if she hasn't been there in 50 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• OP How can you know the "real" Cuba either, if you haven't been there ?
    Is it your view from Miami?

Hmm.... Looks like you want to control how others perceive it really badly.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• anons, Cubas life expectancy is due to the amount of $ sent by Us relatives, and by the resourcefulness of the Cuban people. The only thing this regime does for its people is take away their dignity, their freedom, their self respect, their hope for any type of future. I haven't been there in 50 years but I still have relatives that live in this hell, so I know up close and personal what its people go through.
    anon your information sucks big time, being brain washed much by propaganda? get real!
    I have told you in my other question, I am well traveled in other Latin American countries, I can compare better than most, I have lived it via my relatives, next you are going to tell me that they are the only ones oppressed in the Island, get a life and some education while you are at it!

Answer by older at 1:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009