should i keep my kids in school even tho there have been cases of the swine flu in their school?

I don't know what to do should i keep them out or let them go and chance them getting it too?

proudmommy744

Asked by proudmommy744 at 7:44 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, you'll have to keep them out pretty much all semester (at least) to avoid it. It's just going to pass around from one person to another to another to another indefinately. Even then, there's no guarantee they won't pick it up at the local playground, Mcdonald's, or Target, too.

Plus, if the cases were in your child's class or grade, they've probably already been exposed anyways --- you can be contagious for several days before symptoms present... and remain contagious for 5 days after the fever is gone.

Now... all the being said... I, personally, would NOT send my kids to school if there were cases of swine flu on the same campus. Even though it seems inevitable, I'll still do what I can to prevent it. (I homeschool, btw, so this is strictly hypothetical)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I don't plan to keep my kids home if it shows up at their school. It is contagious before symptoms even show up, so in all likelihood they've already been exposed. Just encourage them to use good hygiene, hand washing, use a water bottle rather than the fountain, send a hand sanitizer if you can. Take normal precautions, but I will still send my kids if/when it shows up at their school.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It is, has been, at my kids school and they've all 3 had it. It wasn't any big deal, it was just like the regular flu - a few days at home and they were fine. But I wouldn't keep them home if they aren't sick, they have lots of work to make up and they missed the "teaching".

Answer by missanc at 8:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't keep them home.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:06 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Mine got it. For the most part it's mild. I only have one child struggling with it and even he seems to be getting better now. I wouldn't keep them out.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Do you keep your kids home with every virus?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Laura1229 Ugh McDonalds play lands...gross, those things are a germ festival!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009