When do you start looking for a pediatician?

I'm 35 weeks and have no idea.

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOW. Ideally, you should have your child's pediatrician picked out several weeks before you give birth so you have time to ask them questions, interview them on their "style" of doctoring, etc.

We were completely clueless with our first and wound up using the one who happened to be on rounds when I gave birth to our son, but we were very blessed and he's a FANTASTIC doctor.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Now!!! Start scheduling interviews as you want a pediatrician that mostly agrees with your parenting style. Here is a site that can help you gather questions to ask them when you go.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_pediatrician-family-doctor-interview-sheet_1452019.bc

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• now would be a good time. u have to have one b4 the baby leaves the hospital. my advice get a dr that IS FROM AMERICA! my daughter had 2 not from america and both are lousy drs. Her 1st popped her hip and wouldnt call us back so i moved her dr. we had a wonderful woman but she moved and they gave me the only dumbass left and he is so demanding! he tells u ur kids WILL get the shot when he says. thats not a good dr.. u can go to ratemd.com some DRs are on there with reviews. im not sure if its ratemd or ratemymd..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• ASAP or at least have a clinic that you want to go to picked out. You could always meet with a couple and see what you like.
    With my son he has a primary but I also picked out a secondary doctor because he pediatrician is in high demand and hard to get into.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think you should start asking around now. Ask friends and family whom they use and call and make an appt to come see and chat with the dr and nurses. Look around the office for cleaniness, sick and well waiting areas, ask any questions you have about routine checkups, shot schedules, hearing test or whatever runs in your family (like over weight charts) or circumsitions if your having a boy.
    I wrote on my papers a clinic that I chose but the Dr. I wrote ended up being out of a diffrent location than I use, so I saw a diffrent one in the group for checkups and fell in love with his bedside manner and style. Now, I would follow him to any office. I have sent everyone I know to him and they love him too. So try getting co workers or friends to tell you about their experiences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• NOW!!! for real... we got lucky and DH's ped is still practicing so we know her really well so she is seeing all of our kiddos
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Hi there Kay-
    If you are looking for a pediatrician, you should visit our site, www.vitals.com. You can search for a pediatrician in your area and view comments and ratings about that doctor from other patients. There is also a TON of other important info, such as addresses, publications, specialities, phone numbers, photos, etc. We also have a free ebook at this location http://www.vitals.com/ebook that gives you important info on how you can find the doctor that is right for you. Let me know what you think when you check it out - I love to hear any comments or recommendations you or anyone else has!
    Sara
    SaraMickey

Answer by SaraMickey at 11:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009