Should kids get swine flu shot

I was just wanting other peoples suggestions on the swine flu shot before I make my final decision for my kids.

Tdaycare6678

Asked by Tdaycare6678 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Health

• no
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'm not sure either, it makes me nervous since its brand new
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• No.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I want my kids to be protected, but i also feel like they will be like the guinea pigs of the whole thing, since its so new and all. Whos what kind of problems it could cause. I am very nervous tho, because my oldest daughter just went into kindergarten. ???? idk???? My fingers are crossed, because i can't bring myself to give them the shot. However , they will be getting the regular flu shot.

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I asked our pediatrician and he said he doesn't recommend it but at this point I'm going to wait and what the CDC says about it in October when it is supposed to be ready. A lot of people go on about how it won't be tested but it is being tested right now. The disease is killing children. It scares me but we'll be getting the regular flu shot and waiting to see what happens with the H1N1 vaccine.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Not unless you want to put your kids at risk of unknown side effects, possibly life threatening ones, for a CHANCE they MAY get sick from something they can get over. The key is to pay attention, know the symptoms and have it treated early. Nobody wants to get the flu, any kind of flu, but I will take my chances with it instead of some poison that could cause me and the kids to be paralyzed or die. Don't think it doesnt bother me to think we could get it, it would be miserable...I know...and there are some that have died from it but it is just like the regular flu and I do not vax for it either. Most people get over it without any long term problems unlike the risks from the vaccine. I am just being very aware of my kids sniffles, fevers and such and will act quickly if I think they are sick same as if they were sick with anything else. I am *trying* to not be extra paranoid about this, there really is not a reason to be.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 11:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It is a virus! The seasonal flu vaccine is actually a new, untested vaccine, every year or two. Flu viruses constantly mutate, the pharmaceutical companies guess at how it will evolve over the next year or two, and make the vaccine accordingly.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. It is my understanding that the H1N1 vaccine will have Thimerisol/mercury.
    As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• cont. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this: "According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children."

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• No..My husband and daughter both had the actual swine flu this summer and they were not any worse than if they had the regular flu. The rest of us did not even get sick. I felt like I was coming down with something for a few days, but I did not get a full blown illness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Sep. 21, 2009