Could this be one step closer to Nationalized Newspapers in the US?

The president said he is “happy to look at” bills before Congress that would give struggling news organizations tax breaks if they were to restructure as nonprofit businesses.
“I haven’t seen detailed proposals yet, but I’ll be happy to look at them,” Obama told the editors of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Toledo Blade in an interview.

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) has introduced S. 673, the so-called “Newspaper Revitalization Act,” that would give outlets tax deals if they were to restructure as 501(c)(3) corporations. That bill has so far attracted one cosponsor, Cardin’s Maryland colleague Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D).

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• anon, you do realize that your tax money (assuming you pay taxes) go to pay for these bailouts. It's absurd and the feds really need to keep their hands off of things to let the free markets work their magic.

IMO, it's a conflict of interest to put even a pinkie finger on the newspaper industry (not that they aren't terribly slanted already).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• No.
    When you don't liked USA then move!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I guess if they want newspapers to survive then they will probably need a bailout. I think near everyone I know has cancelled their paper subscription and only buy the Sunday paper when they really want the ads. Our own subscription runs out the end of this month and I am not renewing. I can get the same info online for the price I pay for internet per month.

I am wondering when the word profit became such a dirty word?  It's disturbing to say the least.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Non-profits don't get tax breaks already? Gah the ignorance!

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 9:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

How many major syndicated News Outlet are non-profits currently?  Why should we bail out the newspapers?  We have already bailed out Jefferey Emmelt. How much of that went to Chris Mathews salary? Rachel Maddow? Olbermann?  Their ratings sure can't pay the salary. Ohh and isn't Emmelt in one of Obama's advisory teams?  hrmmm Bailed out.  Advisory Team...  Getting involved in Obama Care, Cap and Trade, Stimulus $ for green energy. WOW GE/Emmelt sure have their hands in a lot of Obama cookie jars.  Who's next? The Chicago Tribune? New York Times? Where is the accountability and transparency?  Is THAT appropriate use of taxpayer funds? When does it end? We have to draw the line somewhere, don't we!?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• "IMO, it's a conflict of interest to put even a pinkie finger on the newspaper industry (not that they aren't terribly slanted already)."

I agree.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:26 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• "Happy to look at" does not mean he has his pen in hand ready to sign any bill. He's probably "happy to look at" a bunch of crap all the time. I am "happy to look at" stories my daughter writes, but I don't run and tell her she's the next Ann Rice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yes. I am "happy to look at posts here at CM"...but it is rare that I agree with any of them. LOL. It seems like a huge leap to Nationalizing newspapers. But , who cares. They already print what they are told and they have been printing what they are told since about 1960 at many of the papers with the largest circulation. NY Times,for instance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• More disgust
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009