how do i teach my son(1yr old) to try and use his utinsils?

i have been trying to get him to eat with a spoon/fork sinse around 10 months. and still nothing. he does acceptionally well with the spoon to mouth technique... but he cant do the food on spoon then to mouth thing. lol any suggestions? or is it just to early?

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 8:34 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a little early to expect him to master the skill...just give him some cereal and the spoon and let the mess begin. He will have to play to figure it out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I agree with the PP. Just give him a spoon to get him used to it..He will make a mess but thats jut part of it.. Make sure he sees YOU using the utinsil in the correct way..he will start imitating you soon.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would try things like mashed potatoes and applesauce, pudding. Things that stick to the spoon, then he can work on the food to spoon to mouth technique. The more he watches you the more he'll figure it out as well. They do make the bowls with the lip type thing on the side that help with catching the food on the spoon. Those bowls also have suction cups to hold them to the tray so he isn't chasing the bowl at the same time. He'll figure it out. I got the gerber spoons and forks for my daughter they have the really fat handles that are short so it's not so hard to get the spoon to the mouth with the shorter handle. They are fat rubber like and my kids used them as teething tools too at times. Hope these ideas help. Funny thing with my daughter is when she was learning to eat with a fork, she'd hold the food put it on the fork then put fork to mouth. ;o) Keep working with him but be patient, he'll master it.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I didn't push it- I would offer it and it was a mess ordeal and its like my son just got it one day - he didn't get the sippy cup deal til 15 months or so and I think everything else came at the same time.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We got the take n toss spoons and forks from target I think they are munchkin brand... and the fork is more like a spork and DS LOVES it... he is 20 mos now and we just left the high chair and are eating in a booster at the table with everyone else... he has a harder time with the spoon but the spork is really helping those efforts
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• its a little early to use utensils. They are still trying to pick up little objects and just starting to learn how to to use hand to eye coordinationation...things like pees and cherios I did not give to my son until after a year old.

My son is 20 months old and he is still learning but does it quite well and I praise him. I still dont give hima fork everytime, although yesterday he was eating noodles and pointed at my fork and I gave him his own and he used it with a big smile on his face. He was so proud of himself.

I think some Moms here rush to get their child to be more than they are capable of doing-dont rush it -your child is fine and is still considered a baby.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2009