i'm 37 weeks and have questions about labor

is labor near? i have been having period like cramps for the past two weeks everyday. i also have had bad back aches and small, kind of sharp pain in my vaginal area. as for my mucous plug, i'm not sure if i lost it yet. i have been having so much discharge though. on friday my doctor checked and said that i was not dilated yet but the cervix was softening. my stomach has also been getting hard then soft again but it does not hurt. just curious. this is my first and we are having a girl!

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like braxton hicks to me! The cramping could mean that your dehydrated so drink lots an lots of water! An if ya did lose your mucus plug more than likely it will grow back! But labor could still be between now an 4 more weeks! Being its your first most first timers go past there due date unless doc has your due date off! Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It sounds like you're having braxton hicks contractions. As labor gets closer they'll get more painful, but unless they are timed in even intervals and getting longer, stronger, and closer together - you are not in labor yet. BH contractions are not an indicator of imminent labor, but they will get more frequent and intense as you come to the end of your pregnancy. If they get really uncomfortable then drink a nice tall glass of water (or a few!) and take a little rest. They can be more frequent if you are overexerting yourself as well.

A lot of women never even notice their plug falling out, some see it all at once, and some loose it in little bits at a time.

Oh boy I sure remember waiting and waiting for labor to start! Every little feeling I had I was hoping was labor. Hang in there, it's only another three weeks or so before your due date. That waiting is soooo hard!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Sounds to me like you don't have much time to go, my first pregnancy was before the due date, and your body is practicing for the real thing. You will know that you are in labor when those sysmptoms come on a regular time basis, so exciting!!!! You are about to embark on a journey of a lifetime that only you can do!!! best wishes for a wonderful easy labor!

Answer by older at 9:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• OP
    well thanks. i know waiting is driving me crazy ad of course everyone i see is always like "you didn't have that baby yet" so of course its making me want it to go by even faster now lol.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• sounds to me like the kind of pre-labor stuff that could go on until 42 weeks. it is your body prepping for labor, but it could take its sweet time.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• well thanks. i know waiting is driving me crazy ad of course everyone i see is always like "you didn't have that baby yet" so of course its making me want it to go by even faster now lol.

oh isn't that so frustrating!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I had my son at 38 weeks and I know when my mucus plug came out there was no mistaking it.... I was in early labor for 2 days and when it happens you WILL know, I couldn't sit still because it hurt when I did... have you tried walking?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If they don't hurt, they are probably Braxton Hicks. If you have regular contractions (every 5 minutes or less), even when lying down, you are in labor.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It is frustrating to hear things from people! Yesterday at church about 5 people BEFORE the service even started asked "Why are you here? I thought you'd be at the hospital!! Why isnt the baby here yet??" i'm 37 weeks too and just ready!!
    Those cramps you're getting are preparation! If they're not constant or coming at specific intervals, they're not the real thing just yet. But you'll know!
    I honestly don't remember losing my mucous plug with my first pregnancy either. My MIL is all about the plug, all the time, and I just haven't noticed it.
    The waiting is definitely hard! But you have a couple more weeks to relax and make sure you have everything you need. Put your feet up a bit and enjoy the quiet for a little while longer! Your baby will be here before you know it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• OP
    i am walking a little bit a day so thats good. i have been getting kind of sharp pains lower like in my pelvic area. when this happens my stomach gets hard. i'm not sure what is real and what is fake lol. and yes it is very annoying that people react like that when they see me lol. i always tell them believe me i can't wait until she gets here either lol.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 21, 2009