how can you tell if a diamond is real?

I found a diamond or cubic Z, and need to know how to tell if it's real. It will scratch glass, but so do a lot of other stones. What is another test can I do to see? I'm going to take it to a jeweler later today, but would like to know what I can do at home to see.

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 8:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Not much. Every jewelry store has a diamond detector because even they are fooled sometimes.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:01 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• if it is white in color, it can only be of a few types of stone. like a white sapphire or white topaz, spinnel, or quartz. if it scratches glass,it is most likely a diamond. congratulations on finding a diamond you lucky girl!!
    put a tiny drop of water on the table of the stone,and wiggle it. if the water remains on the table, it is likely a diamond.
    look directly into the center of the stone's table, down to the point on the bottom. if the center point appears as a tiny black hole it is likely a real diamond. or if you can see the edge of the top of the stone, the edge should appear frosty in appearance like a frosted beer mug. not solid in gray color. you may need a magnifying glass to see the edge. there may even be a number lasered into the edge for identification.
    can i ask how big do you think it is?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:03 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I always take mine to a jeweler

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• There is no way to tell just looking at it in a lot of cases it needs to be looked at by a jeweler to confirm it's authenticity.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:18 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Take it to a jeweler.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• take it to a jeweler.
    siren_sexy

Answer by siren_sexy at 2:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2009