Attributes for a healthy marriage?

What are your top three attributes for a healthy marriage? Does your spouse agree? I'm starting to think many couples aren't on the same page - or even in the same book.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I am not sure if you know let me I know trust and respect are big things in a relationship
    beth214201986

Answer by beth214201986 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• top three...........hmmm Trust, understanding, and forgiveness. Idk if my dh agrees or not but these are things for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Um Tolerance, Acceptance and Picking your battles. And i'm pretty sure hub would agree
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:08 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Happily married for 5 1/2 years... The 3 most important attributes in our healthy marriage are compromise, honesty and most importantly we are equal contributors. Open communication is also important and we never (NEVER) put each other down. Disrespect in a marriage is probably the most destructive thing a couple can do.
    janaeva

Answer by janaeva at 9:12 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Love, respect, trust, and also compromise, hey that makes 4! It has worked for me for 38 years!!!!

Answer by older at 9:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• 1. I think having reasonable expectations is great in the beginning. So many people come from homes where broken and dysfunctional marriages are the norm. People just don't have any idea in my opinion, they are just stumbling around. Combine that with being young and inexperienced and throw in how the media distorts what marriages/relationships/love is and you have a recipe for a bad start in marriage. 2. Agree to disagree and be willing to compromise. Yes, pick your battles. Always make sure you treat your spouse as the friend he was in the beginning, before everything else came along and complicated things. 3. Forgive, not just forget but truly resolve and forgive. Let go of the past and be willing to start over a million times.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Trust, respect and hot sex. ;)
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:21 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• P.S. My response comes from experience. My marriage has been through all of that!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Lots of GOOD communication (no yelling or accusing to get your spouse to help with what ever the problem may be, compromising and agreeing to disagree fall under this). Everything else pretty much falls in line after you accomplish that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Your spouse should be your best friend. Communication, you should be able to talk to your Dh about every thing. Trust.

Answer by louise2 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 21, 2009