Any tricks or advice for a toddler to learn his colors?

My son will be 3 in Oct. He knows all his shapes, animals, ABC's, he can even count to 30 and actually count objects (counts fingers or M & M's) but he still doesn't know his colors! He has not been tested for color blindness yet (he mostly likely will be) because he can differentiate between colors. I've tried reward and discipline tactics. He now has a homework folder with characters he knows (ex. spongebob, cars, mickey, tonka trucks) of which I drew for him. He is to name the image and then name the color of the image. If he gets it correct on the first try, he gets a corresponding color M & M. We have been doing this with him for about a week, but I still haven't seen any progress. Advice would be greatly appreciated! thanx

prettymomma466

Asked by prettymomma466 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I found some colored blocks and would just play with him and the blocks.
    I would tell him, 'Lets see how many blue block we can stack", ect...
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• www.cool-kids-craft-ideas.com Good site that may help.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 9:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Since my son is a candy freak, I decided to take advantage of the situation. Limits have to be very strenuous around my house, so sitting down with a bag of his favorite colored candies was a really big deal. I put some in a bowl for him and told him to pick out the red ones. If he chose the correct ones, he got to eat them. If he chose the wrong ones, he had to put them back and we worked on another color.

We went from red to blue to yellow to orange, and by the end of just a couple of sessions, he had mastered every color in the bag.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• This is where I learned that all 3 of my 2 1/2 yo learn differently. One learned his colors from associating a color with a food IE: yellow banana, green lettuce, black olive, blue-berry, oranges. One learned from his building blocks, we'd gather all the blue blocks and build something, then the red, then yellow and another learned from a box of crayons and drawing. Now that they know and can identify their colors they help me unload groceries and sort cans by the color of the labels. I'll say can you please hand me all the cans with a blue label, then the yellow labels, white labels.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• thanx for the feedback ladies, I appreciate it. Unforunately, I have tried everything mentioned. We've been doing colors for a while now, along with everything else, and for whatever reason it's the only thing he hasn't mastered yet.
    prettymomma466

Answer by prettymomma466 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Stop TEACHING and play with him.

They learn through play. Label everything.

"Let's go play with the blue ball"

"Where is your Batman with the black cape" (they do come in different colors LOL)

"Help me find my white sock"

He'll catch on.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• the game hyper dash is a target/speed game. It's made for kids older than 6 but it is also great for kids who are younger IMO. Instead of setting up a running course you line them up in front of the child. The games calls out a color and the child has to hit that color target. It times them. They are playing against them self for speed. It also does numbers and addition for later. It's really hard to explain so here is a video.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Stop teaching him and just play with him. There needs to be no rewards or punishments if he doesn't learn something. He is 3 and will learn what he needs for school in his own time. IF you need him to learn his colors, just color with him and point out the colors that you are using and that he is using. Have him find objects in the room that are certain colors. Have him name the colors of the M&M's that he is counting. Concentrate on him having fun and not making it about homework or learning. Don't pressure him and don't worry, he will learn it in time. Point out things when you are out and about...."Look at the beautiful blue sky. Look at that red rose."

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We just did crayons and playdoh. Can you give mommy the ___ crayon? Oh, you picked out the ____ playdoh. I thought DS would be color blind too, he's fine!
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 4:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2009