How to entertain a mildy autistic 3 year old on a 12 hour flight?

This is not including the layovers.......grrrr, husband is getting PSC'd to Hawaii.

Kaelansmom

Asked by Kaelansmom at 10:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• a bag of toys, cards, color book/crayons,& snacks.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If he doesn't mind headphones, get some classical music for him to listen to. Chop the music so each song is only about a minute long so it keeps his attention. Or find some clips of ocean sounds, sea gulls, etc... along with a picture book of where you are going. Explain to him that this is where he is going and hopefully he'll get excited about the whole experience. Also bring his favorite play toys and just change it up for him when he gets ancy (I'm sure you know that already). My girlfriend has an autistic boy and he cracks me up because he surprisingly gets excited about a lot. He just freaks out when there's too much going on.
    prettymomma466

Answer by prettymomma466 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Just bring a lot of toys or books he has never seen before. Keep telling him before the flight that you have some surprises for him if he is good. Maybe try a DVD player?
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• not sure if this applies to autistic kids but I brought my kids lots of snack foods that I normally never let them have (potato chips, cheese doodles, etc) and I tried to stay away from anything with sugar or caffeine.

Also you might want to bring tv shows on a dvd particularly if there is a show he really likes you could record a bunch of episodes he has never seen and some ones he likes a lot.

Finally anything you think might help him sleep, familiar blanket or snuggling toy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Bring some familiar items. Something to assist with any habits of his. And his favorite activity. So if he likes to color then coloring books, if he likes puzzles, then they have those smaller puzzles that he could do on his tray. Bring your own headphones, ones he's comfortable with. Warn him ahead of time of what is going to happen, and let him know what it consists of. He'll be fine, hopefully he'll be so engrossed with the view outside that he'll keep himself busy most of the flight.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009