Help with potty training

My daughter is almost 3 and I cannot get her to poop on the toiliet. Does anything have any thoughts.

She is now trying to hide it or ignore the fact that she did it.

Thanks
Shiloh

Shiloh76

Asked by Shiloh76 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine's exactly the same. We've been peeing for months now, but he still will not poop all the time. My son just started a stance before he has to go. I watch for the stance and then run to a potty ASAP. I tell him to hold it til we get there so I can be proud of him. Just keep telling your little girl that you will be proud of her if she goes on the potty. (but don't over do it). Either reward her when she does and tell her how well she is doing. If she has an accident, don't make a big deal about it, don't comment on it at all. It's part of the process. It seems to help when you only comment on the good at the time that it happens. I know it is very disscouraging and sometimes you wanna scream "Why are u doing this?!" but it will eventually happen!
    prettymomma466

Answer by prettymomma466 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If she poops on the floor though she should be disciplined! My son did that twice and will never do it again.....
    prettymomma466

Answer by prettymomma466 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Are you using pull ups? I started with thick underware with plastic but she was always so sweaty so I was afraid of infections.
    Shiloh76

Answer by Shiloh76 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I had so many problems out of my son. I thought that I'd pull my hair out, or he'd be a senior in high scholl before he would catch on, but.......we did it. I tried the potty watch. It's a watch that plays a melody every 30, 60 , or 90 minutes to remind your child to go to the potty. It's worth a try. Go to www.onestepahead.com. They're @ 11 bucks. Good luck
    TeamGilbert

Answer by TeamGilbert at 11:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The best advice I've ever come across regarding toilet learning is from a book of the same name: the more parents/caregivers and older siblings stress out about it, the more dysfunctional the whole thing will become... sometimes with far-reaching consequences.

Trust that a child who can now speak and walk (but couldn't) will also learn to use all the tools of modern life, from tv remotes to computers and toilets... when she is capable and interested.

It's not possible to make her capable or interested. It is possible to impede her capability and it's extremely easy to make her disinterested.

Low-key is the best approach there is when it comes to learning to toilet. She'll figure out why having a full bum is uncomfortable and smelling like poo is icky, all by herself without any pressure.

With pressure, your little girl will find reasons and ways to resist the pressure, but none of them are healthy in any way.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Thank you everyone. I have been told a couple times to just change her and keep going without making a big deal about it.

I will try to keep with watching the time and just changing her with no fuss.
    Shiloh76

Answer by Shiloh76 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2009