How did you get your toddler to recognize the "I have to pee feeling"?

My son is interested in using the potty (he is a little over 2.5 years). The only problem is he always wants to go after he goes in his diaper. I have been told by other moms that it is usless to potty train unless they "know the gotta go feeling" and have some type of control. So how do I get him to know the "gotta go feeling"?

tarabartish

Asked by tarabartish at 11:18 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get rid of the diapers...once he starts to understand the full feeling with pee running down his legs, he will figure it out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wonder that too - my husband is not really willing to let him run around the house and pee all over either so I tried letting him run outside in the backyard naked so I could catch him peeing and show him but he doesn't like to be naked ..... so now i have no idea what to do -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'm in the same boat. My son initially starting at 16 months, on his on, the first day he did it on his own four times that day. I was proud and excited and he was went strong for months after. In Jan. we moved her to Utah, and he has just stopped. He still knows how to go, he does every now and then, but we can get him to go along with a routine. Where do I start again. How.
    JackiesX

Answer by JackiesX at 12:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Wait. It will become something they notice, when they are physically and mentally capable. Until then, you can't do anything apart from making a big, traumatic issue about it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009