Do your kids do this?

My kid has to practice her instrument for band, has a sport after school with practice 2 x's per week, has a after school club she is in two times a month, church on Wed with homework for that and school homework. Is there anyone who has a kid who does this or more and how do you get them to practice for all these not just show up for the events?? She said she would but isn't following through.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• She seems to have way too much on her plate. No, my kids are allowed 1 activity each. That's it. That is all they can handle, and all I can manage to get them to. But, no, I wouldn't let them have that many activities even if there was only one. Just because they will either have to neglect their activities or their schoolwork. I would really have her drop something that she is doing.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Sounds familiar...it's not only easy for adults to overload their schedule, kids can so it too. I know from experience. One year all I did was run from one activity to the next and the next yr. I cut it out except for a few special activities and we had a much better, enjoyable yr. Hope your daughter can enjoy the time in the things she is doing. If not, then maybe she needs to drop a couple until later.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• This reads like a part-time job following a full-time job. Add up the hours and you'll see that there isn't enough time in a day for her to do all of this and be herself, too.

There is a myth out there that a child with a full schedule is one who doesn't have time to get into trouble... but it has been my experience and observation that it's exactly the over-programmed kids who get into the most trouble. I think there are a few reasons for that, one of them just being a deep need to express themselves without someone else telling them what the agenda is going to be.

The other is that children who spend this much time outside the care and company of their parents are getting too many messages that are too confusing, and they get lost. They don't hear their parents' values over the noise of everything else. They may also feel shunned by their parents' willingness to have children 'anywhere but with them.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yeah, my kids wouldn't be allowed to do all that. They would have to choose. My oldest is in band and that's it. She is supposed to practice for 15 minutes every day and because of all her homework she doesn't get to (we're working on the homework issue with the teacher).
    My other kids do 1 sport at the park that meets once a week and is non-competitive and that is it.
    Kids need free time to just be kids and do whatever (veg out, play games, read for fun, etc). Having constant organized activities is bad for your health.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009