Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you research being a surrogate?

My brother and SIL have been trying for 10+ years to have a child. But my SIL isn't able to carry a child. I've had 3 and know so far we've been blessed without having any complications. So, I wanted to give that gift to them. We conceived naturally and obviously that's not going to happen this time. How would they approach the legalities of it? Who pay for the doctors visits? The birth certificate, who's name goes on it? Would they have to "adopt" the child? Where would we start? Also, how do I convince my DH? I've been thinking about it but haven't mentioned it yet. I wanted to have the facts first. Thanks


Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in About CafeMom

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • You should first check with your state. In some states, their names would go on the birth certificate, and in others, yours will. In some states, they will have to "adopt" the baby. In most states though, to be a surrogate you must already have health coverage, but since you are doing this for family and not to get paid, they should be paying for the health bills.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • No, it's not about money. I want to do it for them. but I don't think my DH should be responsible for the bills.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 21, 2009