My daughter is 5 1/2 and she still uses a Booster Seat

We live in NY State and my daughter still uses a booster seat, which is a requirement. Many of her friends that are younger and older by a year don't. Why do we say we love our children but when it comes to car safety, we just don't seem to care?

happynewyorker

Asked by happynewyorker at 11:40 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I can't speak for anyone but myself, I see crazy drivers all over the place and I'm not an awesome driver myself so I'll be keeping my 2 and 3 year old in booster seats for as long as possible. My husband and I were watching this show "Worlds Strictest Parents" and this woman had her 10 year old and 8 year old in booster seats still. Best idea ever in my eyes, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I don't understand that either. My 4yr old still sit in a booster in our car and we bought one for her to use in my mum's car. Our oldest daughter is 11 and 5'2 however, we never allow her to sit in the front seat of any vehicle. In our state I do believe the law is no child under the age of 12/13 is permitted to sit in the front passenger seat.

I see kids all day long either not in proper restraining seats or kids 6 and 7 yrs of age in the front seat and it burns me up. The moment their parent is in an accident and the child is hurt or killed then they expect the public to feel sorry for them. While kids have been harmed/killed in car seats, boosters and while sitting in the rear buckled up (for those who have outgrown a booster) the numbers are far less then those who don't. Our oldest was in her booster til she was 8.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Ah, because when it comes to car safety, the rules keep changing, and are now rather ridiculous. Good for you for restraining your kids. My 9 year old has been out of a booster since she was 5. My 4 year old is still in his 5 point harness, but will move to a booster when he's 5, maybe sooner.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Good for you for keeping your daughter safe!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009