Legal question on house renting

We have rented out my in laws house.He hasnt paid the rent yet this month.He never signed a lease.Do we still have to give a 30 day notice?I mean then that would mean he can live there rent free for 2 months! Rent is way due and due again in less then 2 weeks and its going up then.He knows this.Can we tell him to be out by the first?Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Legally (in Indiana) I don't know about anywhere else, you have to give a 30 day notice. Anything else, the renter can go to court and keep prolonging getting put out. There are however ways around this. Type up a letter and tell him that he has until the 1st to get out. Make it sound professional. Make a copy of it for yourself. Go file for a court date to put him out legally. After the initial courtdate, he will have to pay back everything he owes you for rent! Thats what my husband and I did. Our renters didn't have a lease either.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• This is a good reason to have a lawyer available for counsel.

I dont know what me and my husband would do without it.

We have had a bad turn in events  when i got really sick, we are having trouble recovering but have faith we will.

We really enjoy that we can have a lawyer on our side for only $17 a month.

We really needed it to find any kind of stabiltiy so we dont keep owing back rent.

You can view our legal plans by clicking here.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Legally, in TX after so many days you give them a 3 day vacate letter. My experience after the letter is sent. I get the rent right away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009