Thumb Sucking??..

My DD is almost 3 yrs old, and still SUCKS HER THUMB. I have tried many different liquids on her thumb, but she has found ways to get it off..shell put he blankie over her thumb, or her shirt. It is also affecting her teeth..she has a huge over bite ..any suggestions?..thanks in advance.. : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Discipline? Time outs...she is old enough to understand when something is not allowed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Explain that stopping will help him or her have a beautiful smile and nice teeth. Let your child know that continuing will cause problems with how his or her teeth grow.

Use a mirror to show your child the changes happening to his or her teeth or mouth shape.
    Talk about the unhealthy germs that are on our hands and how the child puts the germs in his or her mouth by thumb-sucking.
    Talk to your child about becoming a "big boy" or "big girl" by stopping thumb-sucking. Remind your child that he or she may be teased for continuing thumb-sucking.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 12:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Just keep her hands busy during the day so by the time she is down for bed she won't suck so hard and for a long time. Since she is already 3, she must has been to dental office, let the dentist tell her what she should do otherwise what would happen to her teeth. BTW, stop focusing on her sucking thumb because in her age if you tried to stop her, she has tendancy to want it more. Evertime when you see her doing, just try to get her attention to something else. It shall pass.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I will tell you, I sucked my thumb until I was 12 - it wasn't affecting my teeth but it was totally a comfort thing also. I stopped on my own once I started spending the night at friends houses and it was embaressing. But I guess what I would do is maybe try creativeness,. charts maybe for NOT sucking her thumb - or a check mark every time you catch her - at the end of the week she can get a small toy or treat start small like a whole day without she gets something, then 2 days etc. hopefully she'll forget? I don't know. it didn't affect my teeth so no one made a big deal of it for me.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It is a comfoort thing and these are just her first teeth anyway-how is it effecting her permanant teeth? It is not.

I would not make a big deal about it-she is only 3.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• a great positive teaching tool to try at an early age is called Thumbuddy To Love for 3-6 years olds...it is a childrens story book and thumb puppet and kids love it. It really works to break the thumb sucking habit. the longer the habit continues, the harder to break and you do not want to effect tyou can get it on Amazon or google it...i sucked my thumb until I was 7 and then had to have braces and i wish they had this when i was a child...
    andreav210

Answer by andreav210 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009