Parental Rights

My four month old sons father is not on his birth certificate and has never seen him. He contacted me the other day and is now demanding I let him see his son. I live in a different part of the state. He also says he is willing to fight for his rights and even found a way to do it without having to pay for it. Is this possible? I'm kinda worried he may find a way to take my son from me. Help!

SweeThang931

Asked by SweeThang931 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have 2 kids by the same father and their father isnt on their birth certificates either. Is there a reason why you dont want him to see your son? I went to court and got full legal/physical custody of my kids and my ex only gets supervised visitation. My ex has also never had a paternity test done but he still gets visitations. With him not seeing your son ever then you have a good chance of him not taking your son from you. If you want to ask me anything then you can PM me.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• He will have to have a paternity test done before he can take your son. Unless he can prove you an unfit mother, he can't take your son away from you but can get visitation rights to which you can't withold unless you can show that he's a threat to your son.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• He will get visititation if he proves he's the father. And if he can show that you are attempting to prevent him from seeing his child, that can look very bad for you. One thing they look at is which parent is willing to allow the relationship between the child and the non-custodial parent. If it looks like you are trying to prevent a relationship between the child and the father, it can look VERY bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• No he cant do that.
    Kat517

Answer by Kat517 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If he wants to see your son then he has to drive. My kids father has visitations rights but he has to fly to Alaska to see them...he moved to Texas when my daughter was 6 months old and I was 3 months pregnant with my son. He has to make the effort to see your son if he wants to see your son and you can tell him that. It isnt up to you to drive your son for visitation...it is up to the father.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• What is on his criminal record?
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would go and try to get full physical/legal custody of your son. Maybe just give him supervised visitations.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• What she said.

And don't worry, if your a good mamma they'll let you keep him, just make sure no drugs, abusive boyfriends, alcohol or any other bad things are around your son.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think I already have full custody of Aiden because I didn't put his father on his b.c.
    SweeThang931

Answer by SweeThang931 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• What does your lawyer say? A lawyer in your area is the only one who can really tell you what you need to know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009