Jaundice question

My baby is 12 days old. He was in a bili bed for a couple days when he was first born for jaundice. We had blood tests done and the doc called me and said his levels had come down, to keep him in the bed for the rest of the day and night and he would be fine, no need to come in for another blood test.

Well he still looks yellow to me. His face and the whites of his eyes, and even down towards his belly is still yellow. I called the ped's office this morning and am waiting on a call back from the nurse. But in the meantime, i'm curious what other mom's experience with this is.

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 11:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep feeding him as often as you can. The more fluids in his body, the faster the Bilirubin will leave his body.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• He eats every 2-3 hours, and has regular wet diapers. I dont think he'll eat much more than that! lol!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 11:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It takes a while for the yellow to go away. As long as the yellow "travels back up" his body, he's fine. If it starts traveling down towards his middle again, you need to call.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Well thats what i'm worried about. The yellow never really went away on his middle. They finally called me back and i'm taking him in this afternoon to have them look at him! Hopefully i'm just being paranoid momma and he's just fine, but i'd rather be safe than sorry!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 12:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It can sometimes take awhile for it to go away... sometimes a couple of weeks. However... your baby is pretty old to still be having troubles with it... especially to have the jaundice all the way on his belly, it would me more common to just see it in the face at this age.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009