Quick! Who to fix? Male of female cat?

I'm down to 3 cats. 1 adult is fixed so no problem there. But my 2 younger ones and getting at that sexual age. The worst part is one is male and one is female. Female is about a month older than male. They're BFFs and always together. We've been planning to fix them but just kept putting it off cause of money trouble. Well today female is meowing more, all over male, keeping her butt up, and trembling when male touches her butt. So I'm starting to worry. We can probably afford to get one fixed this week. We have to. So which one? I hear females are loud and annoying, that males can spray, that it's harder on females after their first heat, etc. So which would be better to do now?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Female
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Do the female cat first...... she will keep coming into heat until she either gets fixed or pregnant, or she will practically stay in heat and start driving you CRAZY. I cant stand the constant cream of a girl cat, it drives me nut, so I would say her first, then you can get the boy fixed later without the worry.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Oh, and even if the male is neutered, it can still spray.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The male will start spraying. I would fix him first and make sure not to let her outside. Males can spray after they are neutered but if you get it done when they are young (6 months) it lessens the chances of them spraying.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You should have both done.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I've had this problem and I got my male(s) fixed first. If you can stop HIM from sniffing her out and starting the spray thing, thats what is better. Yes the female is going to drive you nuts but would you rather have a cat spraying or a cat meowing.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Is there an ARF where you live? If so, call them. They will fix your cats (including shots) for $20.00 a piece. Very cheap and maybe you could eliminate both the screaming and the spraying. Oh, call your local humane society also, they might have resources you can use.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I agree with a previous poster at trying to have them both done. At the least call all over to see if you can't find a cheap place, I was able to find a clinic for our cats when they were younger.

Now if you seriously plan on doing one at a time, do the female because as she gets in heat she will try to mate and if her male friend won't, say because he's fixed, then she'll try to escape and may come back to you pregnant. As for spraying not all males do this and those that do can do so whether or not they are fixed, depends on his training and temperament, but I do suggest getting him fixed after his girlfriend is done.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• both.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would say right NOW the female, but get the male done ASAP...they will start to spray and you want to break that habit before it starts basically...but either one if not fixed will try to get out to find "fun"...The female will start a really LOUD and deep "MMMEEEOOOWWWW"...when she is coming into heat...If you let the female go into heat, they may actually charge more for that when they spay her...Im trying to remember with my cats.We had them both done, but when I found my female she was already knocked up so I had to wait for her to be done nursing and her milk to dry up...so do the female now and the male as SOON as you can afford it...there are some places that are cheaper than others...you might want to try the local shelter for low cost spay/neuter clinic....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009