Finding a pediatrician

I have several doctors that I'm going to call, I just don't really know what I'm supposed to say/ask. Some help, please?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 11:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_pediatrician-family-doctor-interview-sheet_1452019.bc

a lot of what you need to ask is based upon how you want to raise your child...Questions about breastfeeding/formula...some docs push formula and if you want to breasfeed, you need a doc that is all for it and not pushing formula at the first sign of problems, same with circumcision, if you want to delay vaccinations, if they have an after hours hotline, if they are willing to give meds on a whim or if they like to run more tests to make sure...

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• you can make an appt. with all the doctors and they will explain there history and also when you go in you can see the enviroment they work in and get to know your babies doctor before you chose and make sure you and the doctor get along i know i picked a doctor she seemed nice at first and 3 months in she was really mean about everything so i switched doctors
    RIP.Caleb

Answer by RIP.Caleb at 12:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I called all the offices in my area who took our insurance and set up prenatal appointments. They'll do it for free, and a lot offices have meeting times when they have a bunch of expectant parents come in because so many people do this now. They'll explain their basic doctoring philosophies, usually hitting all the hot-button issues like vaccinations, feeding, circumcision, after-hours care, etc. I went into it not knowing what to look for either, but after visiting several different places, we were able to choose the one that best fit our parenting philosophies without a doubt, and we've been very happy with our choice. And if you think of any questions after you visit, you can always call and ask; they should be happy to answer your questions, and if they're not then you probably don't want to choose that doctor anyway. And you can always switch doctors after the fact, you're not stuck with your first choice. Good luck! :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• And an afterthought: Be sure to visit several different doctors, even if you like the first one you go to. That way you'll know there's not something even better around, and another doctor might raise questions that the first one didn't address. And you'll get a good idea of what's normal and what's not.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2009