How does the depo shot work?

Does anybody know how the depo shot works? I have gotten two of them already and I really like them but it just hit me nobody ever told me how they work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Health

• Depo Provera stops the ovaries from releasing eggs. Depo Provera causes the cervical mucus to thicken and changes the uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to enter or survive in the uterus. These changes prevent fertilization. Depo Provera is a very private form of birth control because it cannot be seen on the body and requires no home supplies. It does, however, require a clinic appointment every 3 months.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 12:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• From what i remember, it's just hormones. I *think* it stops you from ovulating, but i could be wrong. Google it, i'm sure they have a website with all the answers!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 12:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm

I recommend reading the side effects on there too. i didnt have them until my last shot (my 3rd). i thought i was preg. i mean i took 4 hpts!!! lol so needless to say i'm not getting anymore shots...i havent bled until this last shot either, and i have this time for 2 months....its wacking me out.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009