What is considered "normal" aggression for a 2 year old?

My 2 year old stepson has started being more physical when he doesn' t get his way or get the attention he wants immediately. He does things like hitting us in the faces and on the side of the head and at one point when I had a hold of both of his arms to keep him from hitting me, he head butted me in the side of the face. (I had turned my head or it would have been straight on.) He has never done anything like this before but it was really bad this weekend. No one else has mentioned his more violent behavior but his grandparents (who have him the most) tend to let him do what he wants as does his mother, where we expect him to listen and set boundries for him. I know the differences are confusing to him but the hitting is not okay. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? It was better by the time he left to go back to his grandma's but I am sure it will be the same the next time. Is this normal 2 year old behavior?

sarbar

Asked by sarbar at 12:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it's normal but not OK. It's their way of reacting to the feelings they have. I would teach him how to better express his feelings along with the discipline.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I am having somewhat of the same problems with my two year old as well. We are working to fix it and he seems to be getting better. I am not sure how threatened yours is with going to bed, but mine hates his bed. Every singe time, and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME, he acts out by hitting because he doesn't get his way, I put him to bed. He screams because he hates bed, but he seems to be toning it down, he is starting to get the hint...You hit, You bed! Just a suggestion.
    mommy2ejdnh

Answer by mommy2ejdnh at 3:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Putting him in his bed is actually what curbed it this weekend. Sitting and trying to talk to him about not hitting wasn't working and time outs were doing nothing, he would just stand there and laugh. So we were sitting in the chair watching a movie for some afternoon quite time and he kept hitting me in the face. Finally I took him, put him in his bed, and told him he'd just have to nap there by himself if he was going to hit and left the room. Usually he gets to watch a movie at bedtime so this was a big thing because there was no movie. I let him cry for about 5 mins and then went in and talked to him about why he shouldn't hit and that if he was going to do thing like that he could just take his nap by himself. We went back to the livingroom and didn't have another issue the rest of the weekend.
    sarbar

Answer by sarbar at 5:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2009