If your toddler throws a tantrum in public what do you do?

Do you leave? Do you ignore it? Or do you give in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out that lasts for until they are calm and then 1 min. for each year of age. No matter where we are. I don't care that others watch as at least they see that I am disciplining my child. I will not leave the store as that just aviods the issue. She is to act in a certain manner when in public and will learn to do so.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think it will depend on the situation. Once our son throw a tantrum in the bus and my dh decided to get off the bus. (which I don't recommend).

I think the best thing to do would be to ignore it sometimes.

But I know of parents who with saying "shut up" the kid will be quiet and well behave.

ALL DEPENDS OF THE SITUATION AND THE PARENT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Park his butt in time out and stand there until he's done with his fit. When someone looks at us (and they DO) I just say, "When you're done with your fit we will move on." This lets the nosy noses why he's just sitting there crying.

I refuse to give in and let them have their way by leaving. They MUST learn to behave and if I treat them differently in public than I do at home they aren't going to learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Luckily, my daughter has never thrown a fit so big that I could not quiet her with a look or quick word. However, she has definitley been removed from places/situations for breaking rules. But in those situations, the fit comes AFTER the decision to leave :) In which case, I leave... obviously.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wonder what to do too! I know at home when he's throwing a fit and whining without telling us how to help or what he wants I put him in his room and he can come out when he's all done -he's 22 months - But the past 3 times I've brought him out in public he's thrown fits and wasn't listening so I put him in the cart and buckle him in and hes screaming and crying and I ignore it - but I don't think he's "getting it" that I am ignoring him.. but then again, I think if I tried to put him in time out in a store, I don't think he'd get it either - I have a time out chair at home and he sits in it but has yet to think of it as punishment - he just sits there and talks to himself at home when he gets put in there for not listening. I am at a loss - my husband wants to leave and I think that is giving in to what they want but damn, this crying in the stroe is getting old too!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I let her throw her fit and tell her, " |When you're done, we'll finish shopping and leave." I stand right next to her and wait.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If we are shopping or something and she is in a cart I tell her before hand that she is going to sit in the cart and be a good girl. I put her in the cart (which normally starts a bit of a fit ) and I continue walking and telling her that Im sorry but you have to stay in the cart. If I ignore it for a min or so, which seems like a lot longer, she calms down. I also always have a snack on hand to keep her occupied to avoid tantrums. I also keep things quick, she doesnt want to get drug around on a bunch of errands while I take my time, keep it quick and fun.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i just tell my son to stop. he doesnt throw fits cause we never let him so if he starts whining about something i just say stop and he does.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 1:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• he doesnt throw fits cause we never let him

I think this is just luck with your child. I don't think any parent LETS their kid throw a fit, but what if just saying stop doesn't work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I try to go at times of the day when she behaves the best, which for me is early in the morning. I also bring snacks. Sometimes if she does act up I ignore her, although this is not always very effective. I don't think my daughter gets timeouts either. She just talks to herself, or even sometimes laughs when I tell her she has to have a timeout. there have been times she has done the same behavior over and over again if withtimeouts right in a row. I don't think she stops because of the timeouts when this happens, she just gets bored and moves on. As for just saying STOP, if this worked on every child there would be NO NEED for this question to even EXIST!!!
    blondy1820

Answer by blondy1820 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009