How toddlers are disciplined at Daycares?

Please I need some opinions here. We are looking for a Daycare and were wondering if all of the Daycares have a "standard" technique or so.

Thanks ALL!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I run one. I'm not a fan of time out. Redirecting the child's attention is great for little ones. For older ones we help them find the right words for what is going on. And we are consistent. That helps a lot with behavior problems. But I agree with anon 42. They should let you drop by whenever you like.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Nope
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 12:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• No, but at my son's day care they have time out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The one my kids go to, they use distraction techniques a lot. Like, if kids are fighting over a toy, they try to distract one with another toy. A lot of repeating "We don't hit/bite/push opur friends" and moving that child to another area. If the kids are old enough they use time out. It depends a lot on the age and comprehension of the toddler. It's different for an 18 m/o who doesn't really know any better than it is for an almost 3 y/o who DEFINITELY knows not to do what they're doing. Any good daycare would welcome you to come in and observe their teachers for a little while so you can see how they handle things. And definitely look for a place that encourages you to drop in unannounced.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Thanks for the previous posts

emhain "Any good daycare would welcome you to come in and observe their teachers for a little while so you can see how they handle things. And definitely look for a place that encourages you to drop in unannounced. "

emhain thank you. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009