Question About Sleep Arrangements....

I have a 2 year old little girl, who has slept with me practically since the day I brought her home from the hospital. I am due in December to have another little girl, and I am not sure how to arrange the sleeping routine. I plan to breastfeed and I have found that having a child that breastfeeds sleep with you is super convenient. Right now my plan is to keep my daughter on the inside of the bed where she has been sleeping and to put a co-sleeper on the outside, so that breastfeeding is still easy, but so that there is no way for the two of them to get in eachothers way. Also, I think it's to late to start making my daughter sleep independently, 'cause I do not want her to have any negative feelings toward the new baby sleeping with me. Any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, I don't think it's too late to mover her. But that's your call.
    Second, I think your p[lan sounds good.
    And third, you can make the move to a big bed a very positive thing if you want. She'll be mommy's helper, right? Well, Mommy's helper has to be big. Big girls have to sleep in big girl beds, etc, etc. When I wanted to move my oldest to her own bed, we made it fun. Every night that she stayed in her bed she got to pick a prize from the Prize Bag (a bag filled with dollar store junk- probably cost me a whole $10).
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would recommend getting her into her own bed before the baby gets here so she is used to it, rather than make her move when the baby is too big for the co-sleeper and has to have the bed. She should be old enough to grasp the understanding of what the baby needs. Give her choices in the bed and bedding so she feels like it is up to her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Do you ever watch SuperNanny? She's got great ideas. At 2, you can explain to your daughter that she is no longer a baby and that it's time to become a big girl. Tell her a story about how big girls who sleep in their own room are wonderful big sisters and little mommies and that you need to make room for the baby.

Get her a gift for sleeping in her own bed. Make a big deal about being a big girl, etc. Possibly get her a new baby doll so she can be the mommy (she can sleep with her baby).

You CAN do this, don't fear your 2 year old or you'll be in for big surprises as your daughters grow up! Peace and Love
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 12:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I agree it might be too late to move her now, but maybe after the baby is born after a bit of time, perhaps you could try to make it fun for her. Like have "sleepovers" in her room. But for now, i think the co-sleeper idea is a good one. It also might help make the transition to crib/bed later on easier for the baby.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You have plenty of time to put your toddler in her own bed before the baby gets here. As long as she has a month, you're good (per our pediatrician that is)

Start now.

It's going to be harder after the baby gets here when the baby still gets to sleep with you but the toddler doesn't any more.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009