Meconium?

I read that sometimes overdue babies pass meconium in your amniotic fluid and swallow it.. can this result in death of your baby or is it safe? I am now scared to be overdue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• talk to your doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Death? Well I guess so but it's rare because they automatically give the baby antibiotics. It's more likely but still rare that they might get pneumonia.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Nope, it cannot result to death. It's a scare tactic. My daughter who was born 43+wks, passed meconium in the waters and swallowed some. She was fine. The worst thing you can do is suction the baby after s/he is born.
    evasmamma

Answer by evasmamma at 1:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• m dd was born at 38 wks and she had mecomuin.(stress from labor) so you dont have to be overdue it can happen during labor if its getting stressful for baby. no the baby wont die. she was just scution and thast all.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my youngest brother did this and recieved no antibiotics. the dr just sucked it out and they kept an eye on him. he's perfectly healty and a witty smart aleck, maybe thats the side effect lol.....really though, if it happens, drs will take care of your baby, their waste is still sanitary until it hits the air, so the biggest thing will be watching for the fluid in babys lungs.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• evasmamma... actually yes, it CAN result in death but it is VERY unlikely. PLEASE do not post something like that without knowing for sure what you are saying.

Swallowing meconium can result in pnemonia (this usually happens when you fluid level is low at the time the baby poops, making it much more concentrated) and pnemonia CAN be deadly. BUT... hopsitals are totally equiped to deal with these things as SOON as they happen. They know as soon as your water breaks if there is meconium in it or not and if there is, they will not let you baby take a breath until after they have suctioned its lungs out. IF they manage to take a breath before that is done, then it is possible to get the meconium in their lungs
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• it can cause problems, but it's a lot more risky to induce early, unless there is some real medical reason to do so.

there was meconium in my amniotic fluid and my baby had no problems at all, if that makes you feel any better. he was born at 41 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I can say that meconium is not *that* common. It happens, sure....but I think fetal distress during labor causes it more often than anything. My dd was born at 42w 2d with no meconium or any other problems at all. She weighed 7lb 4.5oz....So IMO induction is more risky than waiting.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009