I'm about to purchase my first DSLR

This is what i'm purchasing Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

I'm also getting an 8g memory card thing and a tripod and a few other accesories. I'm not purchasing any kind of flash yet, as i was told it would be best if i first learn how to shoot in natural lighting. But is there anything that i am going to NEED that might not come with the camera?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• You might want to look into a good camera bag. One that will house and protect the extra lens. I don't really think you need a wireless remote unless you plan on taking lots of pictures of yourself.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• A wireless remote!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• yes, the wireless remote comes in handy for photos that you will be in, like I need it for my family photos for Christmas and or trips or you can just put it on timer, set everything and run into the picture. sometimes, the camera kit comes with a remote. find out if it does.

definitely going to need a camera bag to hold all your stuff, you will have a rechargeable battery. I'd get a second one sometime down the near future so that when one dies you have a back up that is charged.
    BodyWrapMama

Answer by BodyWrapMama at 11:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The wireless remote actually can come in handy for things other than just taking pictures of yourself, I have found. Yes, it is very good for things like family photos or Christmas or whatever that you do want be in the pictures, but it also allows you to set up the camera on a tripod and step away from it to look at how you have people posed or how you have things set up from a slightly backed off perspective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Make sure you have filters (just UVs) for the lenses. If you damage the lenses, it's just about the same price to get them repaired than it is to replace them. But you've got everything covered to get started. Do get a decent camera bag (weatherproof). External flash can be the next step. The on-camera flash is awful but you can make do if UR just learning or if it's just a hobby. :) Congrats on UR new soon to be purchase! I'm a pro photog, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. ;) I'll try to help ya out!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 3:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• What my2luvbugs said, an extra memory card, and an extra battery. The wireless remote will come in handy if you are doing long exposure shots. It will really help alleviate camera shake, since you don't have to manually press down the shutter (of course you can also do this by setting the timer pressing the button and waiting). There are also thing that you can buy to help defuse the on board flash. Like a puffer. Learning to shoot natural light is best (in my opinion), but there are just times when you need a flash.
    DixieRoadrash

Answer by DixieRoadrash at 5:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Come join my group. YOu 'll learn LOTS about it! Photo Mom's

SnoWhiteImages

Answer by SnoWhiteImages at 11:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Girl! I thought you already had one ;O) You will do great !
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009