What do you think of mothers who smoke in front of their babies?

In less than a week I've seen two mothers pushing the stroller and smoking. What gives them the right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• --my DD never smells like smoke--

Got news for ya, chick, if you smoke, half your olfactory nerves are deadened - you wouldn't KNOW if your daughter smelled like smoke!

My mother smoked until the day she died. She always said when I went out on dates as a teenager that I smelled good with my perfume on. My dates said I reeked of cigarette smoke and asked me constantly if I smoked.

You don't have to even be smoking in the same ROOM as a person for it to permeate everything around you. My clean hair, my clothes, everything smelled like smoke and I didn't realize it because I was around it all the time. The MINUTE I moved out of my parent's house and got my own I could smell it on everything they brought to my house. She would give me stuff and I would throw it out because it reeked so badly.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 2:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• They're stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think if you smoke, then you should not do it around your children, and especially not in the car with them!!!! Just because they want to ruin their lungs, doesn't mean their children should have to too!!!
    AzaleasMommy

Answer by AzaleasMommy at 12:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It's their choice to make. That's what I think...would I choose to smoke by my baby, no, BUT that's my choice.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I have smoked while pushing a stroller. I do not smoke inside my home or in my car, but yes, I will step out and have a cigarette while DD is playing. No, I will not hold her and smoke. If we are outside together, whether she is in her stroller or not, my hand with the cigarette is up in the air.

Honestly, its none of your business. When these moms babysit your kids and smoke while pushing their stroller, then you can complain. When they smoke in the car with the windows most of the way up, feel free to complain. But for smoking several feet away from their kid while outside? Not your business.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• ok pushing a stroller and smoking really doesn't sound that bad to me. sitting in a room with a baby indoors and smoking maybe, but as long as they're not blowing smoke on the baby i think it's fine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The smoke lingers on clothing and the baby is STILL inhaling smoke.

Not my business. I don't care what they do in bed, either.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think it's just awful. You can all say "it's not your business" . . . but that wasn't the question here whether it's my business. What would you think if I shared a beer with my baby? Would you say it's awful or would you say "it's not my business" . . . I think we all know the answer to that. So what is the difference between sharing a beer with a baby and sharing a cigarette with a baby?

My daughter has a RIGHT to not be poisoned with tobacco and so does every other child. I feel sorry for those children that a damn cigarette is so important that they can't wait til their children aren't around to smoke. There is something so wrong about a baby that smells like an ashtray.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Im sure that comment was directed towards me Bridget . . . so I'll respond.

First of all, my DD never smells like smoke--never. Second, I never share cigarettes with my DD, thank you very much. Third, no need to feel sorry for my DD. At all. She needs no pity as she is very well cared for.

And no, its not your business. If you see me, feel free to come speak to me in person and we can discuss it then.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If you are smoking while pushing a stroller, I'm sorry but you ARE sharing your cigarette smoke with your baby. It's called second hand smoke and it kills. Do you smoke magic smokeless cigarettes? If not, yes, your daughter does smell like a cigarette after you smoke when only a couple feet away from her. You just can't smell it, because you stink too. My parents smoked around me and I have asthma and got bronchitis yearly. Your selfishness exudes you.

I'm answering the question asked. I don't give a damn about whether you think it's my business or not. And the "if you see me in person" comment sounds like you're trying to be smart . . . as if you could do something to me . . . ha Go smoke a cancer stick.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009