Has anyone ever had there membranes striped? Did it work an if it did work how long after u had it done did u go into labor?

Doc striped my membranes today an im hoping it works because if not doc wants to induce me thursday an i do not wanna be induced!

mommyof2boysmd

Asked by mommyof2boysmd at 12:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My midwife did that to me a week after my due date but it did not work for me.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My doctor "tried" at 39.5 weeks ("tried" because I was only dilated to "maybe a 1"). Nothing happened then, I was just kinda crampy for the rest of the day. I went into labor 3 days later, but I think that's too long to have been affected by the membrane stripping, I'm not sure though.

If you don't want to be induced, and there's no medical indication that says your baby's doing poorly in the womb and needs to come out immediately, you can always refuse. Your doctor's word is not law. Plenty of women go past even 42 weeks and deliver their babies just fine without any medical intervention of that nature. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• YEAH!! 38 WKS. WENT ITNO LABOR 3 HRS LATER
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• nope.. they did it twice for me and I still had to be induced at 41.5 weeks
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• tell your doctor you do not want to be induced, and then relax. you can always decline. i'm guessing there is no medical reason of course....?

i cannot remember exactly, but i think my nurse might have swept my membranes at my last appointment, on a thursday, and i had my son on the following monday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• with my 1st and had her a few days later
    bananbb

Answer by bananbb at 3:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It took a little over 25 hours for me to get into full blown labor after having my membranes stripped. But it hurt like hell and I personally would not do it again.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yes, went into labor 4 hours later :)
    mom2boyjuly07

Answer by mom2boyjuly07 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2009