How do I get my 15-month-old to stop pulling her hair out?

When I see her doing it, I tap her hand(s) and say, "No!", but she does it again later. I no longer put barettes in her hgair because she pulls them out and loses them. But she has also pulled out a great deal of her hair by the root and has many patches or very short hair

EJoy1103

Asked by EJoy1103 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter does the same thing and also has patches of short hair where its been pulled out. The dr told me to nip it in the butt and smack her hand. I didnt like that idea, and I tried it and it just made her pull harder and then bite her hand. I now calmly tell her that her hair is too pretty to pull out. "you dont want to pull out your pretty hair" stuff like that. She still does it every so often, especially when she is really tired but talking calmly to her has helped quite a bit.. and her hair is starting to grow back out!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• is this during fits or when she's angry or just as she's walking around or sitting there contently?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009