How did you write your birth plan?

My doctor asked me to have a birth plan and I already know what I want and what I don't want. What I don't know though, is how to organize it.

I'm thinking of just having a paper with a topic line and bullet points of things I want, and the same thing below of things I don't want. Does this sound appropriate? How was your birth plan organized?

Christie814

Asked by Christie814 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Birth Plan? I didn't even plan the pregnancy! LOL

I don't think I had one. Meds if available (epi) and lots of prayers. I had mom and MIL there and my ex hubby.
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my birthing class gave us an outline to use as our birthing plan. It was pretty much what you were just talking about
    What we did want: relaxation, meds, who was there, labor position, umbilical cord cutting and such, where the baby was to be, etc

What we would like to avoid unless absolutely necessary.
    It's good that your doc will take yours into consideration. The nurses where I delivered took one look at it and put it somewhere across the room. I don't think it moved until we moved out of that room. I was made to lay in the bed for over 24 hours, barely allowed to get up, and had my baby on my back instead of squatting like I wanted. Wasn't even allowed in the shower. It sucked and I'll never go back to that hospital. I"m getting all the preliminary work done at my same OB, and taking the results to a different OB that delivers out of a better hospital.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I didnt have a birth plan becuase I have learned from being present at other births that no matter how well you plan it out, things can all go wrong. The only things I would really stress to everyone is who you want in the room for the labor, who you want in the room for the delivery and how soon after birth you want visitors. Also... do you want an epi or not? If not, you will want people in the room that you trust to not give in if you start begging for one.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• There are alot of sites on line that provide a template for you to create your birth plan. That is how I did mine. Here is one site that has one:

http://www.babycenter.com/100_create-your-own-birth-plan_5235284.bc
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009