purple swollen feet

about an hour after I woke up this morning my feet turned all light purple and are really swollen. I am 33 weeks pregnant and my doctor is on vacation for the weekend and wont be back tell Tuesday. Has any one ever had this before and if so what was it?

J_L_Fshr

Asked by J_L_Fshr at 9:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes, it means your blood is not circulating well and you are on them too much. You may need to rest more and prop your feet up. That is what my doctor had me to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2008

• If you wake up in the morning with swollen feet it can mean that your blood pressure is up. You should not have swelling first thing in the morning. You need to get it checked since it can be dangerous. If you can call the nurse line at your doctor's office. Otherwise you may need to go to the ER. It is better to be safe. My doctor has told me several times that if I swell suddenly or if I wake up swollen to go directly to the ER. Good luck.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 10:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2008

• I agree with anon...it means your blood isn't circulating well. definitely prop your feet up, and your doctor may recommend compression stockings that will help your circulation once he sees it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2008

• I say call your nurse line, some sweeling is normal, but for them to be SO swollen that they are purple is not. They may suggest propping your feet, or they may tell you to go to L&D so they can run some test and check your urine and blood pressure to make sure it's not Pre-E, I know we all like OUR dr's but there will be another dr there on call, and it's better to catch these things early, Pre-E can be fatal.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 1:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• GO TO THE ER...YOU COULD HAVE ELEVATED BLOOD PRESSURE!!! This can become very dangerous...If you woke up an hour before, chances are you have not been on your feet too much unless you were just overdoing it...better to be safe than sorry :)
    jf42739

Answer by jf42739 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2008