How can I get Grandpa to stop loosening my son's car seat straps?

I have already nagged him about varous issues with the seat to the point he just get pissed if I say anything. But he pickes James up two days a week and he always comes home with the chest clip on his belly and the straps loose! I know it isn't easy to get him in the seat rear facing with the straps as tight as they need to be but it is even harder to get them tight afterwards so I usually don't loosen them. I have no choice but to have Grandpa pick him up because I have no car and he doesn't mind because we don't live that far from his house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go get the carseat professionally installed. All states offer this, just google "car seat installation." Ask grandpa to go with you to help you watch the little one, and make sure to ask LOTS of questions on how your LO should be sitting, the proper way to install the seat, EVERYTHING. Hopefully grandpa will listen.

I know DDs father never listens to me--but if one of my friends, my mother, his mom, etc tells him the same thing, he will listen better. He tends to think Im nitpicking and bitching, when all I try to do is educate him. HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Tell him it's not safe having the clip near the belly and it's needs to be up near the armpits.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• gather some information about the saftey of car seats and tight straps - he lived in a different time - get some graphic pictures of it too to make it more "real" to him
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Most adults don't wear seat belts properly, It's like microwaving food - we have forgotten safety first.

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• why dont you ride with him to pick your son up? then you can tighten the straps to the degree you feel comfortable.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 1:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009