Any suggestions on how to get your 3 year old child out of you and your husband's bed?

1babygirl676

Asked by 1babygirl676 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does your son have a toddler bed. put it beside your bed and get him to sleep in it. start a sticker reward system. he gets a sticker for each night he stays in his own bed all night. say he gets up to 50 stickers he gets a reward.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Put him in his own bed and tell him to stay put.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Start a bedtime routine that ends with you putting him in his bed. Give him a stuffed animal that he likes, read him a book, turn off the lights and stay with him until he is asleep. If he comes to you in the night, take him back to his bed and stay until he's asleep. Each night it will take less time for him to fall asleep and eventually he will fall asleep on his own. You will be tired for a few nights if he wakes up in the night but after awhile, he will stop waking up and sleep through the night. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We just recenly moved our 2 yr old to his own bed. To help us we redecorated his bedroom, big boy stuff, so that he could get involved and be excited about his "new" room. We also put a fish tank in his room with a light, that he uses as a night light. After a week he knew that this was his room now and we have to continue being consistant or it could all start over again.
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• TELL HIM TO STAY IN HIS OWN BED....EVERY TIME HE GETS OUT PUT HIM BACK AND DON'T SAY ANYTHING TO HIM.....AND WHEN HE STAYS IN HIS BED ALL NIGHT GIVE HIM A SURPRISE...WE GAVE OUR DD A BROWNIE FOR BREAKFAST(I KNOW ITS JUNK) BUT IT WORKED AND SHE'S DOESN'T EVEN REMEMBER GETTING BROWNIES ANYMORE,SO ITS NO PROBLEM NOW!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Ugh, yes this is hard for me. My 3 year old gets up out of bed and comes into our room at least 3 times a night sometimes. We have tried several different things. She doesn't like sleeping in there by herself. She takes forever to go to sleep if I'm in there though because she wants me to read her 20 books, or play something with her. Also we have a dimmer light, and she insists on having it on, so her room is never dark. I am sure that is one of the big reasons she can't sleep as well. I'm exhausted from getting up and taking her back to bed at night. My husband takes Ambien, so i'm the one who gets to do it...and then get up and go to work in the morning feeling like I'm hungover.....
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Move what will be their mattress into your room, on the floor next to you. Let your kiddo see it, and lay down with him (during the day) and show it to him. Then hop up on your bed, leaning over the edge, and show him that you can still see and hear him. That night, offer his bed. Offer to lay with him and if he's okay, lay on your bed leaning over. You can offer a bribe, such as, "If you stay in bed all night, we'll let you choose your own cool sheets at the store tomorrow!"
    Most importantly, don't push it.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 7:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Put the child to bed and explain that it's their room and their bed. You and DH have your own bed and so do they.

DId you have problems with this when your child was younger? 1 or 2 years old?
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i let my daughters pick out their own bedding sets for their big girls beds but they could only use it in their big girl beds, so they slept in them and that worked for me.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 8:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009