Episiotomy....

So I had one with my daughter 2 years ago, and I am having another baby in a couple months, and I am woderring what the likely hood is that I will have to have another one?? It was terribly painful for me to recover from and I will do anything to avoid another one!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I opted to naturally tear.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• it depends on how big your baby is... but you can try stretching your perinal area... that would narrow the odds. good luck
    leftylucy81

Answer by leftylucy81 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Our hospital doesnt do them unless totally necessary, and they prefer to have you tear naturally. How big was your first baby's head? It will all depend on the head & shoulder size of this baby (and how good your OB/midwife is at massaging you prior to birth
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• C-section?
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• ABPeterson, why would you opt for a c-section? That is a major surgery versus an episiotomy
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• with my first i tore naturally(heals faster) she was 7lbs 3 oz. 2 yrs later i had my ds no tears( he was 6lbs 8 oz)
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• WIth my DD 4 yrs ago they cut me before I tore and she was a big baby. I've been told that it's alot more painful and harder to be stitched up if you tear on your own. I'm pregnant with my second and theyre already saying she's gonna be bigger so Im gonna have them cut me again so I dont tear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• C-section? maybe she is confused( i hope not) and she might think is another way of saying c-section. if not then she is just dumb for telling op to get her belly cut open
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It also depends on how quickly your baby descends through through the birth canal and how supple your skin is, not just the size of the baby. I would imagine that induction could increase the odds. I would not elect to have one. Do some research so that if you are told you "have" to have another one, you will be able to find another dr. or hospital in time.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009