Would you mind if your son/daughter becomes friends with someone from a different culture/ethnicity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends. I'll be bashed for this but I prefer for my children to have playdates with other children who are mixed also. I've dealt with racism quite a bit so I tend to make friends with interracial couples who have mixed children. On the otherhand, if I met someone who is just white or just black and I felt like being friends and letting our children play together, I see no problem with that. And it's usually the parents anyways, not the children. There is a white child who lives right down the road who likes playing at our house but her mom is racist and won't let her anymore. I didn't have any problem with her playing here with my children. Children don't really care, they just want to play.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would be THRILLED!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• No, I'd encourage it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Of course not.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Um... my youngest is 3 and... mission accomplished.
    How, in this day, does ANYONE get through life without befriending people of other cultures and ethnicities??
    But to answer the question... I'm happy if the kids are happy :)
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 1:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i'm all for it! when I was in elementary school, there was a new girl who moved from egypt. I felt thrilled she was my friend because she was the "new girl from a different country" lol :) I still contact her on facebook!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Um...why on earth would I care?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Never! I encourage diversity! In fact, I recently had my mom make a black baby doll for my daughter, tight curly hair and everything. The baby doll and my 8 month old daughter are currently best of friends.

I even ordered a Mammy cookie jar as a conversation piece so someday I can explain to my children about our nations sad past of slavery and the Civil War.

My daughter's room is done in a classic orient style and she has a collection of Africa inspired Elephants.

We celebrate other cultures regularly in our home through our weekly "theme days"

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would encourage my child to be friends with whoever is respectful, fun, safe, and shares same interests, blah blah blah. I would never tell her she couldn't be friends just because they are a different race, culture, ethnicity, whatever. My daughter is also biracial. She's half East Indian and half German/Irish/Native American.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Nope, I would not mind at all! It would be a nice chance to learn about another culture and different beliefs.

My best friend is German. We met in grade school and I always liked going to her house. Her mom is a wonderful lady, she would talk to us about Germany, the customs/traditions, and she usually had some yummy German food cooking. I thought it was so neat when she would speak German, and I did learn afew words from her.

My hubs brother married a lady who is from Mexico. She is a neat lady, and I like getting together with her and hearing about Mexico, and learn about her culture. Someday I hope to learn Spanish.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009